Barçablog 6 – “In Croatia I’m a 12…”

I’ve been sort of secretly disappointed with myself for the years I’ve let go by without finishing these videos and basically abandoning this blog. So instead of just feeling that all the time, I figured I could also do something about it and finish them like I promised myself and others I would. Here we go…

This video is the weekend after La Merçe. I think it was the one weekend many of us from the program just stayed in Barcelona and didn’t jet to another city. We explored the home turf, and it was an awesome reminder of why we all chose this city in the first place. El Palau Nacional, Estadí Olímpic, Port Olímpic, La Rambla, meeting new friends from Vere Island and Croatia, and Plaça de Catalunya…there’s a little bit of everything in this one. I don’t get homesickness for anywhere quite as much as I do for Barça. Here’s to nostalgia.

Thanks again.

Kev

 

Advertisements

Barçablog Tres – Boquerainy Days

TOLD YOU I was back in bidness! Gotta get back to showing my time in Barça, but this one’s quick and dirty. We had a short first week in Barça before a group trip to Castilla y Leon, and we all we did really for that week was go out. Unfoturnately, those don’t make for the best footage, and you all had your fill of that from the last Barçablog, didn’t you? Meanwhile, I’ll deal you this! During that week, I did check out La Boqueria de St. Josep with Kelly, and Parc Güell, which will be highlighted in another video, because I’ve been there enough times to warrant it its own little episode.

Now before you watch, get your knowledge on:

Back in 1217, tables were installed in near the old city gate to sell meat, thus inaugurating the first Boqueria market in Barthylona. 200 and some years later, it served as a pig market at this same site under the moniker Mercat Bornet. Fast forward to the turn of the 19th century, when the city constructed a separate market in a new location, just off La Rambla (today’s current site). It took another 35 years before the city finally decided to protect it from the rain and bird poop, and even then, construction didn’t start on an official structure enclosing the market until 1840. Plans for the structure have changed a bunch of times since then, but the iteration you see today has been around since 1914.

Anyway, that’s my Wikispeedy version of its history. Hope you enjoy this video. It’s short, but satisfying.

That’s what she said.

Til next time,

~Kev

Barçablog Dos – Straight from the Teat

Oookay…sorry for the absence of videos lately. My internet’s been poopy lately and isn’t cooperating. I DO have the videos, though…it’s just a matter of figuring out how to upload them for your viewing pleasure. This includes both my Barçablogs and Chris & Kev adventures, which have now been out of commission for weeks. Sorry!

Anyway, the first video I put up was a week into my stay in Barcelona. This video goes over a little of what went down our orientation week in Castelldefels. Next video is our week in Barcelona, before the group trip to Castilla y Leon. Confusing, right?

Now, a little contextual info before we dive into the tale of La Leche de Pantera. On our first day in Castelldefels, we were walking around the town, when we passed one of many little bars. Outside, it had a poster advertising a new cocktail: LA LECHE DE PANTERA. My now good buddy from the program, Sam (tall, auburn-NOT RED–hair, dashing good looks) says, “I WANT THAT,” and he proceeds to throw it out there as a possible adventure every night for the rest of the week. Fast-forward 5 days, and it’s our last night there. We’re at dinner coming up with a gameplan for the night and Sam says, “YO. Before we leave, I’m checking out that Panther Milk. Who’s coming with?” A bunch of us did, and what followed was one of the most LEGENDARY nights ever. We went to a dead bar in the middle of the week, and OWNED it for the night. And the best part was, we were all (well, almost all) completely sober by the time this went down. The drink, by the way, was nothing special. All sugar, not enough alcohol. But those are small details…it’s the memories that matter. And you know what? If 60% of the time it works every time, I guess we were just on the other 40%…and it still worked. Think about it.

That’s about it for now, I think. It was a battle enough getting this video onto the website, so now I will just embed and enjoy.

Talk soon,

Kev

P.S. All still photo credit goes to the lovely Kelly Çakert. And yes, that is literally how you spell her name.